If you're serious about earning a degree from Washington State University, TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) can help. We serve 160 scholars per year. If the program is full, student applicants will be placed on a waiting list and admitted when participant numbers permit.
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment at Washington State University, be a U.S. citizen or a National of the United States or meet the requirements for federal student financial assistance, demonstrate academic need, and have at least ONE of the following apply to you:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent nor guardian has a four-year college degree;
- You are in financial need ("low-income" according to federal guidelines);
- You have a documented disability.
TRIO Student Support Services enrollment is limited. All services are provided at no cost to participants.
Step One: Submit a completed online initial information application. You will need to complete all sections of the application including the demographic and eligibility information, student self assessment, and essay.
Step Two: Once your application has been processed, we will contact you to schedule an interview with the TRIO SSS Staff (via phone, video conference, or in-person). Prior to your interview you will be required to complete the LASSI Assessment. Scholar interviews will be scheduled January 2nd - 5th, 2018 for Spring 2018.
Step Three: Scholars accepted into the TRIO Student Support Services Program are required to complete a SALT Course, Strengths Quest Assessment, and attend a mandatory TRIO SSS Orientation scheduled for Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 5-6pm.
Once a scholar is enrolled in the program, a TRIO SSS Academic Coach will work with you to develop your educational plan. Scholars are expected to take an active role in the TRIO SSS Program.
Maintain Active Status
In order to be considered for cultural enrichment activities, free tutoring services, and other TRIO SSS services, you must maintain your active status. To be considered an active scholar in the SSS Program, scholars must:
- Be admitted to the program;
- Submit an updated My Academic Plan (MAP), Program Participation Agreement, and additional forms each year;
- Meet regularly with your TRIO SSS Academic Coach to develop and maintain My Academic Plan (MAP);
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid;
- Complete a WSU Scholarship Application and file it with Student Financial Services by the annual due date of January 31st;
- Attend at least three workshops per semester, or one Saturday Academy in Fall and attend the TRIO SSS Leadership Symposium in the Spring
- Complete a SALT Financial Literacy Assignment each semester;
- Complete a program evaluation at the end of each semester of service.
For more information, check out our FAQ page!
This grant has been 100% federally funded by the United States Department of Education to serve 160 scholars annually in the amount of $231,103 per year for a period of five years.
The TRIO SSS Application for Spring 2018 will be available online December 1st - 31st, 2017.
If you would like to be notified as soon as our application is available online, please enter your contact information below. Our application for Fall 2018 is expected to be available this summer.