Getting Started with TRIO
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment at WSU-Pullman Campus as an undergraduate; be a U.S. citizen or National of the United States or meet the requirements for federal student financial assistance; demonstrate academic need; and have at least ONE of the following apply to you:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent nor guardian earned a bachelor's degree during their formative years);
- You are in financial need ("low-income" according to federal guidelines);
- You have a documented disability.
Student Support Services enrollment is limited. All services are provided at no cost to scholars.
Once a Scholar is enrolled in the program, your TRIO SSS Academic Coordinator will work with you to develop your educational plan. Scholars are expected to take an active role in the TRIO SSS Program. In order to be considered for TRIO SSS services (free tutoring, cultural enrichment activities, etc.), you must maintain your active status. Explore the semester, annual, and course expectations below!
- Complete annual forms including My Advancement Plan (MAP), Program Participation Agreement, Contact Information Updates
- Complete the WSU Scholarship Application by January 31st
- File FAFSA by the WSU priority deadline
- Meet regularly with your TRIO SSS Academic Coordinator to develop and maintain your My Advancement Plan (MAP)
- Attend at least three (3) college success workshops or the Saturday Academy in the fall semester
- Attend the TRIO SSS Leadership Symposium event in the spring
- Complete a financial wellness activity
- Complete our program evaluation at the end of each semester
Submit a completed online initial information application. You will need to complete all sections of the application including the demographic and eligibility information, student self-assessment, and short essay. Our office will contact you with any additional verification forms we may need.
Once your application has been processed, we will contact you to schedule an interview with our staff (via phone or video conference). Prior to your interview you will be required to complete the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI) assessment.
Scholars accepted into the TRIO Student Support Services Program are required to complete the CliftonStrengths assessment and an academic determination meeting with a TRIO SSS Academic Coach.
We recommend having your short-answers to our application prompts ready to be pasted into the online application. As a preview, your application will include short-answers to the following questions (at least 3-5 sentences for each question).
- Tell us a little about yourself (for example: background, family, interests/hobbies, and any other things you feel comfortable sharing).
- What are your career goals and aspirations?
- Is your GPA where you want it to be? Explain if you are below a 2.0 GPA.
- What are your biggest challenges to succeed in college? What circumstances could interfere with your progress?
- Comment on your expectations, the benefits you hope to receive, and what commitments you are willing to make in the program.